International Republican Institute
Job Title – Research Associate Ukraine
The International Republican Institute (IRI) is a non-profit, non-partisan organization dedicated to the advancement of democracy around the world. Each IRI employee is responsible for carrying out IRI’s mission and demonstrating the core values in their day-to-day operations. The Core Values, which are the fundamental building blocks of IRI, include:
Excellency– We believe in quality results delivered by investing in people. Freedom– We believe in exploration and experimentation to be agile and responsive. The respect- We believe in trust, empathy and empowerment of people. Team work- We believe in diversity, inclusion and the power of global collaboration. Transparency– We believe in open communication and clear decision making. Responsibility- We believe in personal responsibility as the foundation for success.
The Research Associate is a mid-level position in the IRI Kiev office and provides research support for ongoing and developing public opinion research studies in Ukraine and potentially in other countries. Eurasia.
- Undergraduate university degree in statistics, political science, international relations or related field.
- 1-3 years of experience in public opinion research or related field
- Intermediate or superior understanding of statistics (at least one course) required and research methodology (at least one course) preferred.
- Experience with Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint required.
- At least 100 hours of experience working with SPSS or similar statistical software required.
- Excellent writing, research and communication skills.
- Attention to detail.
- Language skills in English and Ukrainian.
Main functions and responsibilities
This role supports the IRI Kyivoffice with various research tasks such as sampling design, instrument design, data quality control and analysis on a variety of quantitative and qualitative research studies in Ukraine (and potentially other countries in the Eurasia region), ranging from large nationally representative polls to small focus groups. The Research Associate will perform these tasks based on standards set by the Center for Insights in Survey Research CISR at IRI. Explicit guidance will be provided for each task, and the research associate should perform assigned tasks largely error-free and in a timely and efficient manner after receiving initial training.
- The primary responsibility of this position is to review SPSS datasets of survey data for quality control purposes. These checks will include, but are not limited to, a review of the weighting scheme and census data, various internal cohesion checks to identify potential contradictions and / or deviations from field work protocols, problematic schemes linked to specific languages / interviewers / regions, etc. , examining the structure of the data for potential indications that a question was not asked correctly, such as a smaller or larger base than expected, comparing the data with previous IRI surveys and / or third-party data, comparison of actual sampling points with the sampling plan, examination of all aggregates and selection of disaggregations indicating any unexpected results, etc.
- Another major responsibility is to compare raw data to figures quoted in presentations and / or reports and / or dashboards and / or to produce custom crosstabs or comparisons of data exported to Excel.
- Another major responsibility is the design of questionnaires, that is, writing questionnaires based on stakeholder discussions and translating research objectives into questionnaires that conform to best practice in questionnaire design.
- Less frequently assigned responsibilities include:
- Preparation of code books.
- Produce data graphics and tables for PowerPoint presentations.
- Review and coding of qualitative transcripts.
- Produce research notes on various topics.
- Participate in information sessions on research findings for a variety of stakeholders.
Performs other assigned duties.
Reports to: Country Director Resident Ukraine
An employee will perform other reasonably related job responsibilities, as assigned by management, as required. IRI reserves the right to revise or modify the duties of the job as needed.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please send your resume and application letter in English, with “Application for Research Associate” in the subject line to [email protected] no later than January 20, 2021.
SUPPORT THE KYIV POST
Independent Ukraine needs independent journalism