Applications are invited for a Research Associate position in Professor Ulrike Eggert’s group at the Randall Center for Cellular and Molecular Biophysics within the Faculty of Life Sciences and Medicine at King’s College London. The Eggert group investigates how lipids contribute to cellular biological processes, particularly those involving the cytoskeleton (e.g. Cell 2014, Nature Journals Molecular and Cellular Biology 2020).
The researcher working on this project will study how lipids participate in the response of cell-cell junctions to mechanical force.
This project is part of a BBSRC sLoLa collaborative award that aims to understand the important and poorly understood question of how tissues maintain their integrity when exposed to a variety of mechanical forces. Our team will use an integrated approach from single molecules to tissues. This award includes six research associates from different groups who will have separate projects but will be part of an interactive and collaborative group. The Eggert Group research associate will focus on the roles of lipids in cell-cell junctions, using techniques such as cell biology, imaging, biophysics and lipidomics.
A PhD in a relevant discipline is required (or the candidate must be nearing completion) and an excellent publication record and presentation skills are essential.
This position will be offered on a fixed term contract of 36 months from the start date, with the possibility of extension.
This is a full-time position – 100% full-time equivalent
• Develop and undertake high quality research consistent with active and comprehensive research contribution in accordance with the Division and Faculty research strategy.
• Manage specific work items according to an agreed schedule, including literature reviews, data collection and analysis, report writing.
• Attend and, where appropriate, present research results and papers at internal academic meetings and external professional conferences, and contribute to the internal and external visibility of the Division.
• Work as a conscientious and committed team member to achieve project goals.
• Facilitate collaboration and networking that engages and supports the activities of the Eggert Group.
• Participate in educational activities appropriate to the stage of your career.
• Be committed to your personal career development.
• Liaise with administrative team for research support.
• Contribute to publications resulting from this research.
• Undertake any other reasonable task that may be relevant to the role statement.
The above list of responsibilities may not be exhaustive and the post holder will be required to undertake the duties and responsibilities reasonably expected within the scope and classification of the post.
Skills, knowledge and experience
1. PhD in a relevant subject (or close to PhD)
2. Excellent skills in experimental research methods and in project design and management
3. Enthusiasm for the research project
4. Good report/document writing skills and ability to verbally communicate results at a high level
5. Ability to interact well with colleagues and work within a research team
6. Ability to work independently and act on own initiative, including resolving technical issues
7. Ability to quickly acquire and apply new technical skills relevant to the project
8. Good time management and organizational skills
9. Knowledge of health and safety procedures
10. Lipid Cell Biology Experiment
11. Experience in cytoskeleton or cell-cell junctions
12. Lipidomics Experiment
13. Experience working in collaboration with multidisciplinary teams
14. Mentoring and Teaching Other Researchers
Please note that this is a PhD level position, however applicants who have submitted their thesis and are awaiting their PhD will be considered. In these circumstances, the appointment will be in 5th year, spine 30 with the title of research assistant. Upon confirmation of the PhD award, the job title will change to Research Associate and the salary will increase to Grade 6.
Candidates should include a cover letter with their motivation for applying for this position as well as a CV listing their experience and publications.
The selection process will include a presentation and an interview with a panel.