We are seeking a Postdoctoral Research Associate (PDRA) with expertise in biophotonics or artificial intelligence (AI) to advance the next generation of endoscopy tools for cancer detection. The diagnosis of oral cancer is clinically difficult and it is often not possible to reliably identify tumor margins during surgery. Raman spectroscopy has the potential to offer early diagnosis and improve the surgeon’s ability to reliably identify tumors and healthy tissue.
The objective of the currently available PDRA is to develop a new paradigm of Raman endoscopy technology that allows complete molecular characterization and accurate diagnosis of oral cancers. The ideal candidate will either have experience in artificial intelligence / machine learning in the Matlab or Python environment or in bioengineering / biophotonics and optical spectroscopy.
The PDRA will work on instrument development, tissue characterization and the development of deep learning for molecular diagnostics. The position involves close and active collaboration with researchers, engineers and clinicians. Working and collecting data for analysis with established platforms already present within our teams is of paramount importance to ensure project cohesion and strong links with team members. The person is expected to be very independent and motivated. The PDRA will join a dynamic multidisciplinary group in a fully equipped optical laboratory at King’s College London, working on various aspects of light microscopy, disease characterization and translational biophotonics.
This position will be offered on a 24-month fixed-term contract
This is a full time position – 100% full time equivalent
- Develop Raman techniques and deep learning approaches for molecular characterization
- Contribute to project management tasks
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date technical documentation of delivered software and hardware
- Contribute to the dissemination of research through publications, conferences and public engagement activities
The above list of responsibilities may not be exhaustive, and the incumbent will be required to undertake the duties and responsibilities reasonably expected in the context and classification of the position.
Skills, knowledge and experience
1. Education in mathematics, computer science, bioengineering, physics or a related technical discipline
2. Doctorate or equivalent industrial experience in computer science, bioengineering or a related field
3. Knowledge of AI (machine learning / deep learning)
4. Knowledge and experience of using Matlab or Python programming languages
5. Ability to work with a variety of people on multiple projects
1. Knowledge of optics and photonics
2. A demonstrable record of publications in peer-reviewed conference proceedings and scientific journals
* Please note that this is a doctoral level position, but candidates who have submitted their thesis and are waiting to obtain their doctorate will be considered. In these circumstances, the appointment will be made at level 5, spine point 30 with the title of research assistant. After confirmation of the doctoral award, the job title will become a research associate and the salary will increase to grade 6.